Requirements for Graduation
It is the responsibility of the student to complete all forms before submitting them to the IE department. Blank forms will not be accepted.
- Application for Diploma (Degree) At the start of the semester in which you are to graduate you must file an Application for Diploma (Degree) and fee with the NMSU Registrar Office. To find the application for and deadlines log onto MyNMSU and click on Student and Financial Aid tab, then under QuickLinks select Student Records. Filing dates are on the Graduate School Calendar that is maintained on the Graduate School web site.
- Program of Study – After you have completed 12 NMSU credits, you are required to complete a form entitled Program of Study and Committee for Master’s Students. This form is found on the NMSU Graduate School Forms web page.
- Schedule Your Master’s Exam – Whether you write a thesis, complete a project or take all course work, you must schedule a final examination during your last semester of course work/research. Examination committee rules are in the Graduate Catalog and schedule dates are found on the Graduate School Deadlines page. You should plan to have your adviser, a second IE graduate faculty member, and an external outside the IE department faculty member. The external member will also serve as the Dean of the Graduate School ‘s Representative. To insure that a Faculty Member is currently a member of the Graduate Faculty and their appointment expiration date please visit http://gradschool.nmsu.edu/gradfac1.htm
- Other Forms – Additional forms can be found on the Graduate School website.
To schedule and take your exam:
- Schedule a 2-hour time block that is convenient for you and your selected faculty committee. Students are responsible for contacting and scheduling their committee.
- Schedule use of the IE Conference Room, Room 279 EC III, with the Industrial Engineering Secretary. At that time, if you are presenting a project or thesis, schedule use of any equipment you may require such as the In Focus projector, laptop, etc.
- Complete the Master’s Final Examination Form. You must schedule your exam a minimum of 10 working days in advance. This means your form must be at the Graduate School at that time.
- Consult with your adviser to discuss your examination. This can be by phone or e-mail.
- Be on time for your examination. If you’re using equipment for presenting research, you should arrive early to set up.
Please plan to attend, with your family and friends, the College of Engineering ‘s Sociedad de Ingeneiros ceremony that is held to recognize our engineering graduates. This ceremony is held the Friday evening before Graduation.